DXF to GDS-II (or CIF) conversion?
Andreas K. Huettel
2009-03-17 12:17:13 UTC
Taekyung Kim
2009-03-17 19:16:38 UTC

I am using LASI to convert files.
You have to first import DXF file to LASI and convert it to TLC file.
Then you can convert it back to GDS or CIF file.

This software is free.

TK

2009-03-18 18:13:50 UTC
Hi

Use Layout Editor to convert to and from CIF, GDS or DXF. The software is
free and can be downloaded from - http://www.layouteditor.net/

The software is very fast and easy to use.

-Ameya
Hi,
Morten Aarøe
2009-04-03 08:39:47 UTC
I agree - Layout Editor is great. However, take care when converting
some complex forms from DXF. I've had problems with conversion of DXF
files from AutoCAD involving rotations of blocks (in my case alignment
marks). For some reason it did not recognize the rotation - could be the
fault of AutoCAD as well, but the end result is that the blocks were in
the wrong orientation in the wrong position...

// Morten
Steven Meredith
2009-04-03 17:34:56 UTC
FYI

When exporting an ACAD dwg to dxf, I have always found that using file>save
as>dxf tends to have more issues converting. I prefer to use the old school
command of "dxfout" at the command line. In my experience, this method has
provided better results than the save as method.

sm
Pavan Samudrala
2009-04-07 15:08:04 UTC
Hello all,

Since we are in this conversion discussion, I have a problem and was
wondering if anyone encountered this problem.

I have created some complex shapes using the concept of regions in Autocad.
When I convert the design using PGSort, all the design gets converted except
the regions. Does anyone have an idea of converting these regions into
gds/gl1 format?

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,
Pavan
--
Pavan Samudrala

George Burns - "I spent a year in that town, one Sunday."
HENRI FLECHNER
2009-04-07 16:00:09 UTC
The problem is that when you are in Gds2 or cid or calma, you cannot convert
all the vertices.

Therefore for example some accute angle ned to be smoothed at the very
beginning.

You can contact me if you want some more information.

Guten Abend.

Henri
Roger Shile
2009-04-07 16:26:40 UTC
For GDSII compatibility each region must have a single boundary e.g. No
donuts, but 2 half donuts are ok.

I've used LinkCAD to convert AutoCAD dxf to GDSII which automatically
converts multiple bounded regions into single bounded regions. If the
converter you're using doesn't do this you may have to create only
single bounded regions in your AutoCAD drawing before doing the
conversion.

Roger Shile

Shao Guocheng
2009-04-07 20:13:56 UTC
One thing you can definitely try is using the "find boundary" function in Autocad. after you find boundary for all ur regions (sounds like a lot work, but autocad will do it for u, u just need to select the regions.), u can delete ur regions and all boundaries will be left as polylines.

hope this hleps

Guocheng Shao